moon V, carrying our hopes! :cryingeagle:

DESTINATION: MOON - Launch 5


the final launch of this rocket's initial season, which took place on the 5th of Feburary, 2008. i had been testing the 20mm motor to see if it would produce enough thrust in a configuration other than hollow-cored. end-burners had proved unsuccessful and the one flight-tested moon had popped its nozzle. tests kept resulting in casing failure and all sorts of annoying malfunctions, the most recent at the time being a spectacular burn-through of the casing at full pressure. and the pressure was full indeed, so with this promising sign i insulated an oven-baked paper tube with STEEL, and filled it with a large moon and smaller catalysed end-burner sustainer. i took considerable trouble over this assembly, as shown:



the moon grain is outer-inhibited and has a large solid forward end. this was VERY complicated to make, and it was VERY hot in the shed. never again...



i installed it all very carefully and took it to dad's place - i was pretty sure this would work well.



successful failure, a real disappointment. the video wasnt much good either >.< i was expecting it to go UP and it did.. but much too slowly. this rocket seems almost unstable though im sure its not really... it just never gets a chance. the rosebush was ok though. at least when these things go wrong, they are pretty benign. the vectored thrust at liftoff is pretty extreme, certainly a negative feature of the moon grain - the rocket flew in a spiral =(.



well, benign-ish. recovery revealed that motor burn was less than nominal. the hole in the rocket is a pretty big pain in the arse, but it can be fixed. or not, it doesnt really matter. the motor was REALLY hard to remove because of the melted electrical tape - dont use electrical tape.



autopsy showed that the motor had burnt through its casing between the steel sheild and the nozzle, but not specifically where the moon core was. further cutting confirmed that the whole circumference at this position was badly charred. the nozzle was also pretty badly clogged, maybe because of the loss of flow or maybe as a cause of overpressure and rupture.



the ejection charge didnt work of course. all in all, inconclusive and discouraging, in conjunction with other paper-casing experiments. this system is over-complicated, a pain in the arse, and just plain doesnt work. its time to find something better.

[GO BACK TO INDEX.PHP]